Saturday 26 June 2010

Small companies sometimes don't get bigger

I've just been in Pakistan where there are thousands of small companies. As new Pakistani companies stabilise, they seem to reach a point where the owner can satisfy the demands of his (even extended) family ... and so he (and it is almost always a 'he') eases off into his comfortable lifestlye.  the company never gets big enough to take advantages of scale or to make real investment ... and sooner or later a technology or a new product comes along ... and the company fails.

So, the question you have to ask yourself is ... How do I keep myself and my staff hungry for more?  What gets them up in the morning?  What keeps them awake at night?  Am I sure we are not just coasting into oblivion?

(And a question for my Muslim friends.  is the pakistani situation a result of people treating this earth and their place on it as a waiting room for the greater world and greater riches to come?)

No comments:

EvanCarmichael.com